Monday, August 18, 2008

Maybe tropical storms should be assigned numbers and not names and other thoughts...

Yes, I am back and it really has been too long but like the jilted lover I return no less wise from the absence to my bizarre bed fellow of a blog. (I type this in a bunk bed by the way which is also an annoyance but a story for another time.)

I'm slightly bothered by the naming of the most recent tropical storm/hurricane/tornadocane, or whatever you want to call it. This is because it was named 'Tropical Storm Fay'. And sadly it's now been responsible for the deaths of five people. That's a serious issue but now I have to worry about what people now think about when they hear my name.

Will they say to themselves, "Oh yeah, Fay, that hilarious quirky, yet devastatingly handsome guy."? Or will they say, "Oh yeah, Fay, that pompous windbag who killed five and flooded my basement."?

It's a worrisome issue and I have proposed a solution to The National Weather Service or whoever decides on the naming of these phenomena. They should use numbers instead of names. 36671-C doesn't strike the same fear of say a Fay but it would save people so blessed with such a great name from the unnecessary hardship.

Just imagine how perfectly serviceable names can be ruined by these things... no one is going to touch Katrina with a one-hundred foot pole now. Unless, of course, they want their child to be a selfish watery shit who doesn't clean up their own messes.

And now on a completely different note, Padraig Harrington once again won a major, the PGA actually and it's his second major in three weeks and third overall. It's quite insane really, I never expected this and I feel as if I have been spoiled on incredible golf. He is now being touted as Tiger's main rival and being a tried and true fan of his for many years I could not be more overjoyed by my favorite athlete's success.

At least Ireland has one great sporting talent... I wish I could say so for the Olympics but alas those women and their ginger hair seem destined to finish last in every single race. Bring on the potato growing and eating contests!

0 comments: